I am back after a long break to blogging. For some strange reason, I did not feel like writing and taking photographs of the food I cook. But not anymore . Is this a Gemini-an trait of getting bored of doing the same stuff over and over again, or is it just me? Last time when this happened to me is when I decided to change the look and feel of my blog. But this time I decided to take a nice long break. Sometimes, it just makes me feel good to break the routine. Thanks to all my friends and family who showed their concern to find out what is going on with me and why no posts from me. My mom stands on top of all asking me every day why I have not posted anything.
Today’s recipe is something I have started making very often lately. I got this recipe from a very good friend of ours. Shrimp always took the form of thokku in my kitchen until I saw my friend make this when we went to her place. It looks really appetizing. I have even had some of my vegetarian friends staring at it and giving me a look saying “Don’t tell me that it is non-vegetarian”.
- Shrimp – 20 t0 25 (I used the jumbo version. But the petite ones taste better)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Red Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 teaspoon
- Besan / Chick pea flour – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 thinly sliced
- Clean, peel and devein shrimp. Pat it dry with a kitchen towel
- In a wide bowl, add shrimp, ginger garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, garam masala and lemon
Let it marinade for atleast 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Just before you are ready to serve, mix a tablespoon of besan flour to the shrimp so that it coats
all the pieces. If the marinated shrimp is too watery you can add more chick pea flour.
- Heat a wide pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Shallow fry the marinated shrimp. Let it cook on medium
high for 2 minutes or until it turns nice and crispy. Turn over the shrimps and cook until you see
nice golden crispy layer. (Do not cook the shrimp too long. It will turn rubbery)
- Transfer them to a paper towel.
- In the same pan fry the sliced onions until they get a little
- Transfer these caramelized onions to a serving dish. Arrange the fried shrimp on it and sprinkle