Friday, December 23, 2011

Popcorn Chicken

Santa came a little early this year. 
When I started blogging, my husband asked me if I wanted him to get me a real nice fancy camera. I was not so very impressed with that idea. But he was very interested in buying me one and so last week,I got my Canon EOS Rebel T3 as a Christmas gift from my husband. I am snapping photos of everything in the house. There is a lot to learn to use my new camera. But for now, I am just experimenting. I did not realize what I was missing, until I saw these pictures.I know I am just a beginner with food photography and this camera, but I am very happy with this gift from him.



Coming to the recipe, it is along the same lines as my last post. Popcorn chicken is a popular product with kids and I am not a big fan of the frozen ones. My son had the frozen version of this at one of our friends place and he loved it. I knew, I am going to make a homemade version of that for sure and here goes the recipe. It is very easy to make and the result is awesome.


Ingredients:

  1. Chicken breast - 2 medium sized pieces
  2. All purpose flour - 1 cup
  3. Garlic Powder - 1 teaspoon
  4. Salt & Pepper - to taste
  5. Cajun seasoning  - 1 teaspoon (optional)
  6. Egg - 1 
  7. Panko Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
Method
  1. Clean and cut the chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
  2. Take 3 separate bowls.  In the first bowl mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cajun seasoning (if using). Keep it aside.
  3. In the second bowl, beat the egg with a splash of water and keep it aside.
  4. To the third bowl, add panko breadcrumbs.
  5. Heat oil on a medium heat in a skillet.
  6. Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the flour mixture and then into the egg mixture and coat it with the breadcrumbs. Again dip the piece into the egg mixture and finally with the breadcrumbs. This process of dipping it twice in egg and breadcrumbs makes it more crunchy.
  7. Repeat the process with rest of the chicken pieces.
  8. Drop the chicken pieces one by one into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on all sides.
  9. Drain as much oil and place them in a paper towel.
Serve it with ketchup or your favorite sauce.







12 comments:

  1. Wow so your Mr. Santa gave a new camera !Cool yaar...
    Salivating here after looking these popcorn chicken. Superb

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. superb...same lying in my draft. will post soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations for the new camera. Lovely recipe, fantastic pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!Delicious and mouth watering recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, wish to munch some rite now,tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, mouthwatering chicken..looks perfect..
    Merry Christmas to you and your family !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very tempting pop corn chicken,my favorite!!
    Nice gift of camera,congrats!!

    Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)
    Erivum Puliyum
    Wishing your family a Blessed n Happy X'Mas !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..popcorn chicken looks just delicious....drooling over these pics dear :-) wishing u n ur family merry christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..yum chicken popcorn..i make it in similar way too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lavanya,
    We didn’t know that corn could get as wicked as, “Corn Croquettes”. Smart ways of using seasoned breadcrumbs.

    By the way, getting deeper into it, we realized that even “Popcorn Chicken” makes a warm homemade dinner!

    Yes, we would love to feature your culinary skills on our global platform.

    This is an exclusive space for your penmanship, where you can publish your unique culinary outputs in the form of brief food blogs.

    That too you’re the one, who’s going to own this space! We would like to pass it on to others by featuring it on our global platform!

    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes/poori-indian-puffed-fried-bread_post_7859
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes/chocolate-pie-easy-to-make-pie_post_7854
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/food-recipes
    http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/

    Sulekha.US would be glad to present your food blog to the Indian communities living abroad. We would love to connect them through one of the most vital channels i.e. food.

    It’s all yours and you’re going to own an exclusive food blog with Sulekha to share your recipes along with their back links.

    We would promote it across our wall and social media.

    Featuring your recipes on our home page would be a perk for our eager Indians, who are waiting for Desi recipes and baked goodies ranging from ‘grand’ to ‘on the go’.

    Sharing your passion for cooking might rejuvenate the taste buds and senses of millions of Indians living abroad. We’re awaiting your valuable reply.

    Bon Appetite!

    Thanks & regards,
    Hamida, Content Manager, Sulekha US
    HasanulhameedhaS@sulekha.net


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!