Today's post is about Saravana Bhavan Special "Kaima Idli" which is always a big hit at home. Deep fried idlis in spicy and tangy sauce cannot be missed by anyone who visits Saravana Bhavan. I am a die hard fan of their Kaima Idlis and Mixed Vegetable Parotta.Yesterday, when I made this for dinner, we discovered that our little hero likes this a lot too. So Kaima Idli is going to be a frequent visitor to our kitchen.Ingredients:
1. Idlis - 10 to 12
2. Oil - 1 tablespoon
3. Onions - 1 medim (finely chopped)
4. Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
4. Tomato - 1 (finely chopped)
5. Tomato paste - 2 tablespoons
6. Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon or more if desired
7. Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
8. Cashews - 8 to 10
9. Cilantro - to garnish
10. Salt - as required
11. Oil - to deep fry the idlis
12. Ghee - 1 tablespoon
1. Cut the idlis into bite sized pieces and deep fry them in hot oil till it turns golden brown.
2. Place it in a paper towel and leave it aside.
3. In a pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, add onions, ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell goes away and the onions turn translucent. Green peppers and red peppers can also be added at this stage.
4. Add tomato and salt. Let the tomatoes get mushy. Add tomato paste.
5. Add chilli powder and garam masala and saute for a couple of minutes.
6. Add a few tablespoons of water, just so that the fried idlis can absorb the sauce in.
7. Add the fried idlis and gently mix it with the sauce.
8. Saute it till the idlis absorb the sauce.
9. Add a tablespoon of ghee and add cilantro and fried cashews to garnish.
Serve it with onion raitha.