Last night I set the alarm in my cell phone and went to sleep. For some reason, my phone decided to switch off on its own. Today morning, I jumped out of bed, panicked to see the clock read 6:45 AM. But luckily, today is Pizza day at school and I managed to pack lunch for me and my husband with leftovers from the previous night’s dinner. This story has nothing to do with this post, just another reason for me to use the drafts which is my blog saver :-) .
- Carrots, beans, cauliflower – 2 cups chopped
- Peas – ½ cup
- Potatoes – 2 large
- Onion – 1 large finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green Chillies – 3 finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Egg – 1 optional
- Breadcrumbs – 2 cups (for the coating)
- Oil – To fry
- Cilantro leaves – ¼ cup chopped finely
- Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker and mash it with a fork and leave it aside.
- In a pan, add the chopped vegetable, just enough water to soak the vegetable, salt, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste and cook it till all the water is evaporated. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add a tablespoon of oil. Once it becomes hot, add the chopped onions, remaining ginger garlic paste, salt and green chilies. Sauté till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the cooked vegetable and the mashed potato. Combine well. Add peas and let it cook for a minute or so. Remove from heat. Let it cool down a little bit, so that you can make cutlets out of this mixture. Check for salt and spices and adjust if needed.
- Once the mixture cools down a little bit, add chopped cilantro leaves. The mixture should be firm enough to make cutlets. If the mixture is too loose, add more potatoes or I use a little bit of breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl, beat an egg and leave it aside. If you do not want to use egg, mix maida with water to make dosa batter like consistency and leave it aside.
- Have the breadcrumbs in a plate or bowl to coat the breadcrumbs
- Take a handful of the vegetable mixture and make shapes of your choice. Dip it in the egg bowl or the maida liquid. Then, place the cutlet in the breadcrumbs and coat it completely.
- Repeat it for the rest of the vegetable mixture and deep fry it till golden brown.
Serve it with Ketchup.