I am not sure what is the connection between me and kadai preparation. Why do I love to prepare kadai dishes with every possible thing? Or why do I name my dishes kadai? I really don't know what a traditional kadai preparation is. But I love my version of kadai preparation. I started preparing this mushroom dish as kadai preparation, but I guess, it slowly emerged into mushroom butter masala. So this recipe is a hybrid between kadai mushroom and butter mushroom. But the end result was absolutely divine. As you can see, the gravy was so silky and creamy and it was a perfect combination with malabari paratha. I am sure, it will taste very good with any indian flat bread.
1. Mushroom - 1 lb cleaned and cut into bite size pieces(I used baby bella mushrooms but button mushrooms can be used too)2. Onion - 1Cubed
3. Tomato - 1 big Cubed
4. Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
5. Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons/ per taste
6. Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
7. Salt - as needed
8. Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
9. Kasoori Methi - 1 tablespoon
10. Cashewnuts - 10 -12 pieces
11. Butter - 2 tablespoon
12. Oil - 3 teaspoon
1. In a hot wide deep kadai add one teaspoon of oil, saute onion till it turns translucent.
2. Then add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Let the tomatoes get soft and mushy.
3. Now add chilli powder, coriander and garam masala powder, saute for a couple of seconds and add the cashews. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
4. In the meantime, clean and cut the mushrooms into bite size pieces and keep it aside.
5. Grind the sauteed onion tomato mixture to a very fine paste. This is what is going to give a creamy texture to the gravy.
6. In the same kadai that you used earlier, add the remaining oil. Once it is hot, add the ground mixture.
7.Heat the gravy for a couple of minutes and then add the mushrooms.
8.Let the gravy and mushroom bubble up till it becomes thick. Let it cook with a lid on or else your stove top will be covered with this gravy.
9. Once it reached the required consistency, add Kasoori methi and 2 tablespoons of butter.
10. Remove from heat once the butter starts separating.
Serve it with your favorite bread.