My mom and dad will definitely be shocked to see this recipe on my blog. Yeah... There is no connection between me and bitter gourd. I used to be such a fuzzy eater when it comes to vegetables. But my taste buds took a roller coaster twist after marriage :-) I was wondering how to cook karela that will suit my taste buds as well as his. And adding a small piece of jaggery did all the trick.
1. Bitter Gourd /Karela - 4
2. Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
3. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
4. Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon (or per taste)
5. Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
6. Salt - as needed
7. Jaggery - 1 tablespoon
8. Garlic - 4 finely chopped
8. Oil - 2 teaspoons
1. In a hot kadai, add oil, add cumin seeds and wait till it splutters.
2. Now add onions and garlic, saute till the onions gets translucent.
3. Add turmeric, salt and chilli powder and saute it for a couple of seconds.
4. Cut the karela into bite size pieces and stir into the masala. Add 1/2 cup - 1 cup of water, close the kadai with a lid and let it cook till the karela turns soft and most of the water is absorbed.
5. Now stir in the jaggery. Wait till it melts and remove from heat.
Serve it with Rotis or as a side with rice and enjoy!