What better way to end a lovely anniversary dinner than with a delicious dessert? We started looking at the dessert menu. He loves ice cream and I love banana. So we ended up choosing Banana Foster which is sauteed bananas with caramel sauce on vanilla ice cream. The moment the dessert came to our table, all three of us started diving in. Yeah even our little one was a great competitor. But he was more interested in the ice cream than the sauce. Since the caramel sauce had rum in it, I scooped some ice cream on to his plate and he was happily enjoying it when we were enjoying this heavenly combination of ice cream with sauteed banana and caramel sauce.
We had invited one of our friends over for lunch last Sunday and I made this dessert for them. Of course, I used store bought ice cream and just made the caramel sauce. It was such a big hit. I omitted rum that the original recipe called for and it tasted heavenly nevertheless.
If you are counting calories, you should not even be looking at this page :-)
1. Butter - 1/4 cup
2. Sugar - 1/2 cup (super fine)
3. Heavy Cream - 3/4 cup
4. Banana - 2 peeled and cut into bite size circles
I did not have superfine sugar, So I just took the regular sugar and pulsed it in the blender couple of times.
1. In a heavy flat pan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Stir in sugar. Keep stirring, until the sugar is all melted and caramel brown. This process will take quite sometime. Stirring is the key to get a nice silky sauce. So be patient and keep stirring. At one point, the butter will start leaving the sugar. But do not give up stirring, stir it until the sugar turns into caramel brown color.
3. Add heavy cream to this. The mixture will bubble up. Boil it and reduce the heat to low.
4. Place the bananas and cook for just 2 minutes and remove from heat.
Serve hot with cold vanilla ice cream. Yummmmmmm......