Friday, April 8, 2011

Chicken Pakora

Never knew that chicken can be prepared as pakoras until I tasted this at one of our friend's place recently. When I told her that chicken pakoras sound completely new to me, she told me that it is a very common Pakistani dish. She prepared it in a jiffy as our tea time snack.


I am not sure what is with me and the battered pakoras/pakodas. The batter doesnt stick to the main ingredient when I drop it in oil and I always end up with the fried batter and the fried main ingredient :-). So I was little skeptical to try this dish. But my cravings for the chicken pakoras overpowered my skepticism.I did not get a complete recipe from our friend. I just remembered her saying "grind everything coarsely". Out of my cravings, I came up with the recipe below. To my surprise, it came out perfect. The batter was still stuck to the chicken when I removed it from the oil :-) .



Ingredients :


1. Chicken(skinless and boneless) - 1 lb
2. Salt - to taste
3. All purpose flour - 1 cup
4. Rice flour - 2 tablespoons
5. Corn flour - 2 tablespoons
6. Food color - a pinch (optional)
7. chillipowder - 1 teaspoon /per taste
8. Egg - 1


To grind:


1. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
2. Onion - 1/2 chopped roughly
3. Green chillies - 2
4. Cilantro - 1/2 cup
5. Dhania seeds - 2 teaspoons


Method:


1. Clean the chicken and cut them into bite size pieces and set it aside.
2. Grind the ingredients under the "to grind" section into a coarse mixture.
3. Add this ground mixture to the chicken and give it a quick mix.
4. Then add salt, chilli powder and food color. add the flours little by little. Spray water if needed and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Make sure the batter coats the chicken pieces evenly. The batter should not be too thick or very thin.
6. Whisk an egg and add it to the battered chicken. Set it aside for 30 mins.
7. Deep fry till it turns reddish brown.


Serve it with tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!