When it comes to French Toast, I am ready to try any version that I come across. Am not sure if it is because it is sweet or if it is because it is one of those dishes that reminds me of my childhood cooking. Whatever it might be, I just love French Toast :-) .
When I came across this recipe in SmittenKitchen, I knew I am going to make this for our weekend breakfast.I made it for a Sunday breakfast and it was absolutely delicious.
1. Bread - 1 loaf (I used a loaf of challah but any fresh loaf of bread should work)2. Milk - 3 cups
3. Eggs - 3
4. Sugar - 3 tablespoons
5. Salt - a pinch
6. Cinnamon - 2 teaspoons
1. Mix Milk, eggs, sugar and salt and keep it aside.2. Slice the bread into thick slices.
3. Foil a baking dish or casserole. Butter the baking dish generously. Line the bread slices. You can tear apart a bread slice and fill any gaps.
4. I couldn't make a second layer because my baking dish was not so deep. If you decide to have layers in your toast, pour the milk egg mixture over the first layer. You can add any dry fruits or nuts and then proceed with arranging the second layer.
5. Pour the remaining milk egg mixture over the second layer. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top. Cover with a cling wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
6. The bread will absorb all the goodness while you are sleeping.
7. Bake it at 425F for 30 minutes. The bread will puff up nicely.
Serve it with maple syrup or any topping of your choice.
I am sending this entry to Srivalli's "Breakfast Mela"