Do you sometimes crave for something simple yet classic? With very few basic ingretients that you could find in the pantry, you can have this classic potato kuruma in no time. This goes best with briyani. When I tasted this, it reminded me of the kuruma that used to be served in many Tamil weddings along with the vegetable briyani.
1. Potatoes - 22. Onion - 1 finely chopped
3. Tomatoes - 2 small finely chopped
4. Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
5. Oil - 2 tablespoons
6. Cardamom - 2
7. Cloves - 2
8. Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
9. Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoon
10. Coconut - 1/4 cup
11. Poppy seeds - 1 tablespoon
12. Cilantro - to garnish
13. Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons / per taste
14. Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
15. Salt - per taste
16. Frozen/ fresh Peas - 1/2 cup
1. Boil the potatoes, peel the skin,chop it roughly and keep it aside.2. Make a fine paste of coconut and poppy seeds adding little water.
3. In a hot pan, add oil and all the whole garam masala. Saute it for a couple of minutes till you get a nice aroma.
4. Now add onions and ginger garlic paste till the onions turn translucent.
5. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric and let it cook till the tomatoes get soft and mushy.
6. Then add the chilli powder and coriander powder. Stir in the chopped potatoes ,peas and add 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil.
7. Now add the coconut mixture and let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes till the kuruma thickens to the right consistency.
Garnish with cilantro and serve it with briyani.