Long grain rice flavored with cumin seeds cannot be missed by anyone visiting a north Indian restaurant. This rice is very easy to prepare and goes very well with any north Indian gravy.
1. Basmathi rice - 2 cups
2. Butter - 2 tablespoons
3. Cloves- 2
4. Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
5. Cardamom - 2
6. Cilantro - 1/2 cup
5. Fresh mint leaves - 1/2 cup
6. Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
7. Fried onions - 2 tablespoons
8. Salt - as needed
9. Water - 4 cups
1. Soak basmathi rice for 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, in a hot deep dish, add butter. Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom. Saute for sometime. Add cumin seeds, once it splutters, add cilantro and mint. Saute for sometime.
3. Add 4 cups of water to it and add enough salt.
4. Let it boil and add the soaked rice. Wait till all the water is absorbed. Just when all the water is absorbed, add the fried onions and close the dish with the lid and reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 5 minutes.
5. Switch off the heat, transfer it to a serving dish.
Nice and fluffy jeera rice is ready to serve with any creamy north Indian gravy.