Monday, May 9, 2011

Puttum Pazhamum

I know... I know.... The shape of the puttu presentation is unusual :-) That is the reason why puttu maker (the cylindrical one) is in the top of my shopping list when I go to India this time.

Regardless of whatever shape it is, I can just inhale it any time. My mom makes it very often just because I love it a lot. I can see her eyes twinkling with happiness when she sees me eating her puttu. When my mom was here with us last time, she made rice flour and I use that flour to make puttu. I came out perfect. I have tried using the store bought rice flour but never got that perfect taste. I usually make a little more puttu than actually needed and keep it in the refrigerator. It will come in handy to satisfy my sweet tooth after each meal :-) .

My mom used raw rice to make this flour. Soak raw rice in water for 2 hours. Drain all the water. Use a kitchen towel to dry the rice a little bit. It need not be very dry. Little moisture is needed. Grind the rice in a mixie till fine. Sieve it to get a very fine rice flour. Let it dry in the sun for 2 hours/ till it gets dry and store it in an air tight container. You can use this flour to make puttu, idiyappam, kozhukattai, etc..,



Ingredients:

1. Rice flour - 2 cups
2. Salt - a pinch
3. Luke warm water - as needed
4. Ghee - 2 tablespoons
5. Sugar - 8 teaspoons / per taste
6. Grated coconut - 3/4 cup

Method:

1. Mix rice flour with salt. Add water little by little and mix it till you get the flour with which you can make a firm ball yet breaks easily when you touch it.
2. Let it stand in your counter top for half an hour. 
3. Here come the secret step for my moms super soft puttu. Pulse the flour a couple of times in the mixie. Then sieve it till you get a fine rice flour. Lazy me skipped the pulsing part and that is why you an see few lumps in the picture :-)
4. Use a puttu make to layer the flour, coconut and sugar or steam cook it and then add coconut, sugar and ghee.

Serve hot with ripe bananas 

6 comments:

  1. hey nice puttu, i too love puttu but the rice flour, amma makes was finished .so i wondering what to do?now i'll make rice flour like u have mentioned. thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chitra. Try it and let me know how it comes out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my fav...looks very tempting..u give me puttu anytime I can have it looks so yumm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puttu and banana.. ooh that is one heavenly combination! simply yummy...
    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!