A specific origin for the quesadilla is unknown. There are many ideas about where the quesadilla originated. The quesadilla is a food that changed and evolved over many years as people experimented with different variations of it. It is believed that it started in Mexico. The reasoning behind this is because of the ingredients. The tortilla is a mesoamerican food. Queso, which means cheese, has been apart of the Mexican language ever since the Spaniards introduced it to them.[Source: Wikipedia]
Sometimes, I feel like not cooking much. This usually happens on a Friday night. So I try to do some quick fix semi home made stuff. One such dish is the Quesadilla. It is very easy to assemble if you have the right ingredients. It involves very little cooking. You can adjust the filling with any vegetable/ meat you want.
I had left ovet mutton masala. So I added it to the filling and it tasted great. Quesadilla with an Indian twist :-) . I also made it with just the vegetable filling and that was great too. So people who are lazy like me or people who want to taste this homemade quesadillas, just grab some tortillas from the store and you can make a delicious dinner in no time.
1. Store bought tortilla - 22. Oil - 1 table spoon
3. Onion - 1 medium thinly sliced
4. Green pepper - 1 thinly sliced
5. Red pepper - 1 thinly sliced
6. Mushrooms - 1 cup sliced
7. Salt - to taste
8. Pepper - to taste
9. Sharp cheddar cheese - 1 cup
1. In a skillet, heat some oil. Add onions, peppers and mushroom. Saute till it gets soft. Season it with some salt and pepper. Keep it aside.2. Place the tortilla in another hot skillet with just a few drops of oil, leave it just for a couple of seconds and flip it over.Reduce the heat to medium low. All the fillings have to be placed in one half of the tortilla.
3. Sprinkle some cheese, then the sauted vegetables. If you decide to add some meat, place it now. I chopped the mutton masala and just added it as the next layer. For the last layer sprinkle some more cheese and fold the other half of the tortilla to form a semi circle.
4. Gently flip it, so that the cheese melts on the other side too.
Serve it with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.