I had a big bag of carrots sitting in my refrigerator. So was wondering what to do with so many carrots. I also wanted to make chutney for dinner as a side dish for idlis. But ran out of coconut. So I decided to make chutney with carrots. It turned out really well and it was a very good combination for idli. Nice variation for the regular same old coconut chutney.
Expect more carrot recipes :-)
Here goes the recipe for the chutney I prepared yesterday.
1. Carrots- 3 medium
2. Channa dhal - 1/2 tablespoon
3. Urad dhal - 1/2 table spoon
4. Garlic - 2
5. Red chillies - 2
6. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
7. Coriander seeds - 1 teaspoon
8. Salt - to taste
9. Tamarind paste - 1/4 teaspoon
10. Oil - 1 teaspoon
1. Sesame seed Oil - 2 teaspoons
2. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
3. Asafotida - a pinch
4. Curry leaves - Few
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and add urad dhal, channa dhal, jeera, dhania, garlic and roast it for a few seconds.
2. Then add red chillies roast it till everything is well roasted. Then set aside.
3. In the same pan, add carrots that are roughly chopped. Saute for 5 minutes. Do not let the carrots cook completely. It should still be crispy.
4. Grind the carrots along with the roasted dhal mixture, salt, water and tamarind paste.
5. Now temper it with the ingredients under the for tempering section.
Delicious carrot chutney is ready for you to enjoy with idlis/ dosa.