Monday, March 28, 2011

Carrot Kheer

I am still using up the big bag of carrots :-)

I wanted to make a dessert that is not very time consuming. I have had carrot kheer only once when I was in college. My friend's aunt made it and I really liked it. But never had a chance to try it again. I knew that it doesnt take a long time to make this kheer. So tried it and believe me, it tastes very good. There are not many ingerdients needed to make this kheer. Heavy cream is really optional. I could not resist myself adding heavy cream to this kheer, so just added a teaspoon of cream. But, even without heavy cream, you will get the same taste.


Ingredients:

1. Carrots - 4 medium sized
2. Milk - 3 to 4 cups
3. Cardamom powder- 1 teaspoon
4. Sugar - 5 teaspoons / per taste
5. Saffron - few strands
6. Heavy cream - 1 teaspoon (optional)
7. Cashews - 6 (to garnish)
8. Ghee - 2 tablespoons

Method:

1. Pressure cook the carrots till they become soft and blend it into a smooth paste and keep aside.
2. Break cashews into small pieces and fry it in the ghee till golden brown and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan with the ghee, add the pureed carrots and saute it till the raw smell goes away.
4. Add sugar, milk and cream and keep stirring till the mixture thickens up.
5. Once it reaches your desired consistency, add the fried cashews and serve it warm or cold with a garnish of saffron strands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!