Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Egg Kuruma

As promised, here comes the egg kuruma recipe.


The basic sauce in this recipe is my mom's and the way I add the last 2 eggs is from my mother-in-law. My mom adds hard boiled eggs and I am not a big fan of gundu muttai(That is how I call hard boiled eggs :-) ). Once, I told my mother-in-law that I am making egg kuruma. She asked me to just break the eggs in the sauce, that way the eggs will get cooked in the sauce. I liked that idea. The eggs tasted good with the taste of the sauce in it and no more gundu muttai in the kuruma from that day :-)


It is very versatile. You can have it with white rice or malabar parotta or puris or rotis.


Ingredients:

1. Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
2. Tomatoes - 1 medium (chopped)
3. Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
4. Chilli powder - 1 table spoon
5. Garam masala powder - 1 teaspoon
6. Grated coconut - 1 1/2 table spoons
7. Poppy seeds - 2 teaspoons
8. Eggs - 3
9. Salt - as needed
10. Oil - 2 teaspoons
11. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
12. Uradh dhal - 1 teaspoon
13. Curry leaves - few

Method:

1. Grind coconut and poppy seeds into a very fine paste with little bit of water and keep it aside.
2. Use a hand mixer to beat one egg and keep it aside.
3. In a kadai, heat the oil. Add mustard seeds, uradh dhal, add the curry leaves after the mustard seeds splutter.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
5. Add the chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
6. Now add the chopped tomatoes and salt. Let it cook till oil seperates.
7. Add chilli powder and garam masala powder and stir for a few minutes.
8. Add the ground mixture to the sauted masala. Add little water and let it come to a boil.
9. Once, the sauce comes to a boil, slowly add the beaten egg and stir continuosly. The sauce will get a different consistency now and it gets thicker. Add water if needed. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
10. This is the basic sauce that my mom makes. After this, you can either add hard boiled eggs or break the eggs into the sauce as I do.
11. Reduce the heat, break one egg at a time(In different places) into the sauce slowly. The sauce should not be boiling. Otherwise the eggs will scramble. Do not mix till the eggs get completely cooked. Increase the heat. The eggs will be cooked in a couple of minutes.

Egg kuruma is ready to serve with rice/roti/parotta/puri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!