When I got married and came to the US, we used to invite one family home almost every friday night for dinner. They were all my husband's friends and family and in most cases, I was meeting them for the first time. This tradition went on for like 3 to 4 months. What more can a person like me, who loves cooking ask for? It was such a nice oppurtunity for me to try new dishes. I mostly made a full course dinner starting with appetizers, rotis, sidedishes, curries, pulav, raitha and a dessert. My cooking saga would start in the morning. I tried different appetizers, curries and desserts for the guests every week. Rotis and pulav were my standard trademark. That was the time I explored a lot of new recipes. This chicken drumstick roast was one of those dishes which wowed the guests. It looks good and tastes good as well.
1. Skinless Chicken drumsticks-5 pieces2. Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 table spoon
3. Chilli Powder - 1 teaspoon
4. Garam Masala Powder - 1 teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
6. Chickpea/besan flour- 1 table spoon
7. Rice flour - 1 tablespoon
8. Saunf powder - 1 teaspoon
9. Salt - to taste
10. Oil - to fry
For the masala:
1. Onion - 1 medium (sliced)2. Tomatoes - 2 medium
3. Chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5. Salt - to taste
6. Cilantro - to garnish
7. Oil - 1 tablespoon
8. Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
9. Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 table spoon
1. Mix ingredients from 2 through 9 in the ingredients section. Make a paste by adding little water if needed.
2. Make five or six slits in the chicken drumstick. This will help the masala get in the pieces. Apply the above paste and let it stand for minimum 1 hour.
3. After an hour or more, deep fry these pieces till golden brown on all the sides. Keep it aside.
4. In another pan, add oil and once it is hot, add mustard seeds.
5. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
6. Then add thinly sliced onions and let it turn golden brown before you add the tomatoes.
7. Add little salt and let the tomatoes saute well.
8. Add turmeric and chilli powder and saute till oil seperates
9. Now add the fried drumsticks and mix gently till the masala coats the chicken pieces.
10. Switch off the stove. garnish it with cilantro.
Serve it as an appetizer.