Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kuzhi Paniyaram

Kuzhi Paniyaram is a very famous south indian breakfast. When I was a kid, I remember my grandma buying paniyarams from a lady who makes it every day in front of her house. That taste was unique. It was a little bit sweet as well as savory. But never figured out the right recipe. I guess it is some secret ingredient that brings out that taste :-)

I will give you my version of Kuzhi Paniyaram. I usually make paniyarams with idli batter when it starts getting sour.

Ingredients:

1. Idli batter -6 cups
2. Rice flour - 1 fistfull
3. Onion- 1 medium chopped
4. Channa dhal- 2 table spoons
5. Curry leaves - few
6. Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon

Method:

1. Soak the channa dhal in water for atleast 2-3 hours. Keep it aside.
2. Add the rice flour to the idli dough. This will make the paniyarams crisp.
3. In a pan heat some oil, add mustard sedds and let it splutter.
4. Add finely chopped onions and curry leaves and sauted till the onion turns pink.
5. Now, transfer this into the batter and add the soaked channa dhal and mix well.
6. Make paniyarams using a paniyara chatti.

Serve it warm with any chutney of your choice. We prefer to have kuzhi paniyarams with peanut chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!