Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chilli Parotta

Chilli Parotta is a dish that I never thought I could make it at home. But after surfing some blogs, I was delighted to see some recipes for this wonderful dish. I do not exactly remember where I got this recipe from. I am sure it is from a blog, but not sure whose blog it is. I made few modifications to that original recipe. It came out really well. This is a big hit in any party /get together. My friends keep asking me for this dish every time we decide on a pot luck.



Here goes the recipe.


Ingredients:


Frozen Parottas- 1 1/2 pack(You can get it in Indian stores. I bought Daily Delight Ceylon Parotta)
Red Onion - 2 big
Green Pepper - 1 small to medium, cut into 1 inch cubes
Tomato - 2 medium, chopped
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
Cashews - 7 or 8
Ginger - half inch piece
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Cilantro - to garnish
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tablespoon


Method:1. Chop 1 onion and keep it aside. Cut the remaining 1 into 1 inch cubes (similar to the capsicum).
2.  I used frozen parotta so i popped them in the microwave for 30 seconds before frying them on a frying pan till they get crisp (instead of deep-frying). Cut the parotta pieces into  small squares.
3. In the meantime, heat 1 to 2 tsp of oil and sauté the chopped onion, garlic and ginger cloves till brown, then add the chopped tomato with the masala powders and salt. Add the poppy seeds and cashews at this point and let it cook till it gets thick. Allow this mixture to cool a bit and grind in a blender to a paste. I added red food color and little bit of maggi tomato sauce for a little tinge of  sweet taste.
4. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, and add the cubed onions and sauté for a few minutes till translucent. Add the cubed capsicum and a pinch of salt. When they get tender crisp, add the ground onion-tomato paste and sauté for about 4 to 5 minutes.
5.  Add a tbsp or two of water (to loosen up the mixture so the parottas can soak it up) and immediately add the parotta pieces and toss so they are uniformly covered by the paste. Cook this on a medium-high flame till dry.
6. Switch off the stove and garnish it with some cilantro.


Delicious Chilli Parotta is ready. Serve this dish with raitha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog!