Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chicken Kothu Parotta

Kothu parotta is my all time favourite dish. When I was in India, during my school days, eating outside in a restaurant was a very rare event. Instaed, my dad would buy food from a restaurant and bring it home. Whenever this happens, my choice of food was always kothu parotta , my brother would order chilli parotta and others in my family would order for just plain parottas. I was never a big fan of plain parottas but I just love kothu parottas. Well, after coming to US, we never went to Indian restaurant that often, because we wanted to try other cuisines. So I came up with this recipe for kothu parotta and it turned out really well. Today I am going to give the recipe for chicken kothu parotta. But if you just want kothu parotta, just ignore the chicken in the recipe and you will end up with a mouth watering kothu parotta.





Ingredients:
1. Frozen parottas- 12 pieces
2. Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
3. Onion-1 big
4. Tomato puree- 3 tablespoon
5. Chicken- 1/2 pound
6. Chilli powder-1 tablespoon (as per taste)
7. Garam masala powder- 1 teaspoon.
8. Egg kuruma-2 cups
9. Salt- to taste
10. Turmeric- a pinch
11. Eggs- 3
12. Curry leaves- few
13. Chopped cilantro - to garnish
14. Oil - 3 tablespoons


You can find my egg kuruma recipe here.
If you do not have egg kuruma any vegetable kurma can be added to this recipe.


Method:
1. First cook the chicken with turmeric and salt. Once it is cooked, tear it into small pieces. Keep it aside.
2. Then thaw the frozen parottas, tear it into big chunks and put it in the blender. Just pulse it few times till it shreds into small pieces and keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add chopped onions and saute till it become golden brown.
4. Now add tomato puree and saute till oil separates out. Then add chilli powder and garam masala powder. Saute for couple of minutes and add the shredded chicken.
5.Since the chicken is already cooked, saute for a few seconds and add in the shredded parotta and mix well.
6. Break the eggs and pour it in the parotta mixture. Give it a good mix till the egg coats all the parotta pieces.
7. Then add kurma to it and let it cook for sometime. Switch off the stove once the kurma is absorbed by the parotta. Garnish with cilantro.
8. Serve hot with onion raitha.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog!